Do you have a new Tobii eye gaze system or an existing one, but need more support in setting it up and using with an individual with Rett Syndrome (RTT) who has already demonstrated he/she can use it to communicate? Then, this is the course for you!
In this course, participants will learn how to set up a Tobii eye gaze system (i.e., Tobii PCEye Go, Tobii I-series or C-series device) with Tobii Communicator 4 software to support individuals with Rett Syndrome in using it to communicate. Participants will learn how to create a new user and have this user start with a customized home page in Lariviere’s copyrighted eye gaze layout when Tobii Communicator is loaded.
Participants will also learn how to configure Tobii Gaze interaction settings that support ease of access for individuals with RTT. Detailed instructions and demonstrations of how to add or change content in existing buttons and pages/page sets will be covered, along with the steps for creating new pages with a consistent layout and programming links to existing pages/page sets.
In addition, participants will become familiar with how to program inflection in spoken messages using Acapela’s Ella or Josh voices and how to add various sounds such as laughing, yawning, and/or crying to existing messages using Acapela voices for enhanced expression. Proven strategies that support an individual with RTT in using a Tobii eye gaze system while engaging in conversations with knowledgeable communication partners will be discussed and demonstrated through video. Participants will also learn about a tool that provides a framework for training communication partners and documenting progress in an individual’s communication skills over time.
The course will take approximately 4 hours to complete from start-to-finish. However, participants will be able to go through the video-based modules and handouts at their own pace and review them as many times as needed. Additional content will be added to this course over the next three months.
Please note that this course will also apply to participants who are working with an individual with Rett Syndrome who has had his/her own Tobii eye gaze system for a while. If eye gaze technology is being introduced to an individual with RTT for the first time, then the upcoming course, “Eye Gaze Technology: From Trials to Conversations” will be most applicable.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Set up a Tobii eye gaze system for an individual with Rett Syndrome, integrating a home page that supports ease of access with a preprogrammed link to the Dynamic Communication Book to support ease of access and engagement in conversation.
- Set up a new user, set a startup user, copy page sets into new user folder, and select the home page that will be displayed for a particular user in Tobii Communicator 4.
- Change the voice for the user, set link visualization (folder corner), and set read as you type audio feedback for the particular user in Tobii Communicator 4.
- Configure the Gaze Interaction settings that work for individuals with Rett Syndrome including the dwell, the calibration process, including keyboard step-through, calibrating to an image/video, improving one point at a time and setting the background color.
- Program a button including the following: changing text on button, changing the font, picture (symbol and taking a screenshot of picture using Windows’ Snipping Tool), programming a sound/message, changing the background color of a button (gradient and flat), copying a button from one page to the next, copying and pasting special features from one button to the next (i.e., appearance, a picture, button actions and Smart button type) in Tobii Communicator 4.
- Program messages with intonation using Acapela’s US English voices, Ella or Josh (for a boy), and add sound effects to enhance expression of existing messages such as yawning, etc. in Tobii Communicator 4.
- Copy a page in a page set; rename a page; link a button on an existing page to a new page; link a page with an automatic return, and link a button to another page set in Tobii Communicator 4.
- Implement proven strategies that support an individual with RTT in using a Tobii eye gaze system while engaging in conversations with knowledgeable communication partners.
- Become familiar with a tool that provides a framework for training communication partners and documenting progress in an individual’s communication skills over time.
Registration includes unlimited access to this course for one year. To purchase, click below to enter our webinar catalog. Log in or create a new account on the next screen.Purchase [$95]